Thanks everyone for your encouraging and reassuring words on yesterday’s post. I am not going to get sappy or emotional but I will just say each and every comment meant a lot to me. While it’s nice to know that others are going through/ have gone through the same thing, it just sucks altogether. I guess that’s just a part about being an adult and ….gulp….growing up huh? Here’s to some better days along the way but all in all just wanted to say thanks.
Today was a better day at work, I explained the drama of my mistake to some and they told me I was freaking out over nothing and that they have been doing things wrong as well in different areas of our position. That’s the nice thing about our group-ten of us started together so we are all in the same boat with “WTF am I doing and am I doing it right?” so it makes the whole process less of a pill to swallow. Keep on keepin’ on right?
But then I came home happy to have another day under my belt and relax with my pups. I had plans to go to Cowfish Sushi and Burger Bar with one of my girl friends but the toilet gods had another plans. I will keep this brief and clean as possible since I don’t like talking about toilet activities. I went to use the toilet, flushed, the water rose in the toilet almost to the rim, went down, then it came up…..in my shower!!!! I started to freak out immediately and really had an “Oh shit what do I do??” moment so I tried to stay calm knowing that I slacked on buying a plunger the last few times I’ve went to Target. I called my landlord and tried to remain calm while explaining to him what was going out-of-town and he told me he would get on it right away. As some of you may recall, I had water issues in my old apartment back in February, so it’s safe to assume I pissed off the plumbing gods some time in the past.
30 minutes later, I was almost done bailing the water out of my shower. I am almost crying at this point but laughing instead because if I didn’t laugh, I would go insane and break down. Mind you, I don’t have a tub, only a stand up shower that really can’t hold that much water. I finally got all the water out but then learned my neighbor on the other side of my duplex was also having the same issue so we had to hold off on all water activities whether it be the kitchen sink, washer, toilet or bathroom sink or dishwasher.
My friend still came over since we didn’t know what time the plumber would come over and I wanted to stay close to the home base so we used a BOGO coupon for Pio Pio, a Columbian/Peruvian restaurant known for their chicken. This place is very unassuming, located in a strip mall next to other food establishments, a dry cleaner and smoothie joint and I never gave it a second glance. But I was talking with one of my friends this weekend, she is Columbian and heard it’s a great place so I had a feeling they would be legit. They have a smaller menu but their dinner dishes come with a side of fries or rice along with another side such as plantains or yuca. I got the 1/4 chicken with rice and plantains.
Yeah, the menu didn’t tell me it came with beans. Fiber was the last thing that my stomach needed with no immediate bathroom in sight! And dinner kinda sucks when you can’t have anything to drink with it, I would’ve loved some water but wine was really on my mind. The chicken was all that and a bag of chips! It was moist, flavorful and juicy. They also brought out a white garlic sauce that looked similar to tsaziki sauce along with a green jalapeno sauce that had my eyes watering. Both were equally fantastic on the chicken and on top of the rice. The rice wasn’t anything to write home about but the plantains were as good as I was expected—I am from South Florida and miss having plantains that taste like they should! The beans? I took two spoonfuls and mixed in my rice but was still a bit weary about eating them due to the bathroom situation. All in all, a terrific place and wallet friendly. I will be back in the future!
Unfortunately we had to rush through dinner since I got a phone call telling me Mr. Plumber was near but we got back right after he had arrived. An hour later, things were semi-fixed. He told us we could start using the toilet, shower and sinks again but to be light on the toilet paper and that he would be back tomorrow. As long as I have a toilet, I will be good. I will literally be praying to the porcelain gods tonight that nothing goes wrong in the future or when I go to work tomorrow.
On a lighter note—Kace tagged me in this fun little questionnaire. I love these kind of things and learning more about the bloggettes that I follow!
1. Vacation: beach or mountains? Beach all the way. I grew up in South Florida and miss the days of when the beach was easily accessible to me. Give me a book, drink, a cabana boy and some rays and I’m set!
2. Luggage: check it or carry it on? Prior to the airlines charging to check bags, I would say check. But now, I carry on when possible. I don’t want to spend an extra $50 on baggage on top of what I will spending on my trip. I am carrying on my bag on Friday when I fly to Florida but I also sent some clothes home along with gifts I sent. The worst is when the climate is different from where you currently are because then you have to look through all your opposite season clothes. On the flip side, I’m hoping to visit the beach once while I’m there so I can get a tan. Because this pale look? Totally not working for me.
3. Bed: make it or leave it a rumpled comfy mess? I make it every morning but by the time I come home, it’s a rumpled mess. Lincoln likes to burrow and goes under the covers when I’m at work so I’m not even sure why I make it before I leave. Maybe I will do a little experiment, not make it and see if he messes it up even more.
4. Races: smaller or bigger? I’ve only done a 5k but with my bad knee, I’m not sure I could do more.
5. Toilet paper roll: over or under? Over.
6. Pancakes: thick and fluffy or thin and crepe-like? I’m equal opportunity, all are welcome in my belly!
7. Alarm: get up or hit snooze? Get up when the alarm goes off—I cannot stand snoozers!
8. Name one movie you’d never watch again even if someone paid you. I could say Gigli because it was that bad but Reign Over Me with Adam Sandler was pretty bad as well. I don’t like him trying to play serious characters.
9. Name 5 fictional characters you want to have dinner with. And TELL ME WHY.
- 1. Dwight Shrute, he would drive me insane but at the same time, I could learn a lot about beets.
- 2. Alice from the L Word. She just seems like a fun person and she is a talker. No awkward silences!
- 3. Finley Anderson Tanner from Rhonda Pollero’s mystery series—she is a bargain shopper and has an addiction to coffee—hello twin!
- 4. Alex Cross from the James Patterson books, he seems like he would be a walking encyclopedia and could tell good homicide and kidnapping stories.
- 5. Hurley from Lost. He is the king of one liners, loves ranch dressing and just seems like he is all about the love.
10. Cake vs. Pie: Your pick? Cake all the way! I don’t mind pie but have passed up a slice or two in my day.
11. Last meal – what would it be? AND YOU ARE ON DEATH ROW SO MAKE IT CREATIVE.
12. Favorite book to movie adaptation ever? Least favorite?
Favorite: Hmmm, I am usually not a fan of books that get turned into movies but I really enjoyed Bridgette Jones’ Diary.
Least Favorite: Confessions of a Shopaholic. Cute movie? Yes but it came nowhere close to the book.
13. Worst grade-school portrait, described in detail. I am going with my third grade picture. I had a bowl haircut and wore a pink denim dress-eek! Let’s hope that picture never resurfaces….
14. Floss before or after brushing your teeth? OR NOT AT ALL?! I’m horrible about flossing but when I do, it’s after I brush.
15. You have to move out of the country – for the rest of your life. Where do you move? I haven’t been to any places outside the continent of North America but I think Tokyo would be pretty flippin awesome